> Faculty of Arts
(UGC-SAP– DRS– II Supported)
Highlights of the Programmes
- The Department of Sociology was started in 1954. During the formative years, three Fulbright American Professors helped in designing the academic courses and also initiated research activities.
- At present there are five Professors and seven Assistant Professors with a wide range of research curiosity in thrust areas such as Social Issues, Environment, and Social Development.
- Our department collaborates with leading National and International NGOs for academic and research initiatives of the programmes.
- The department is currently assisted by the UGC SAP-DRS (Phase-II) category to the tune of Rs. 93.5 lakhs for a period of five years (2015-2019).
- The Department actively engages the students in extension activities such as Village Adoption, Blood Donation Camps, Camps for Awareness Creation in the surrounding villages.
- Every year on an average of 15 to 20 Research Articles are published by our faculty members in national and international journals.
- Since 2000, Our department has successfully completed Nine (3 Major; 6 Minor) Research Projects funded by UGC, World Bank, and State Government.
Thrust Areas of Research
- Strong foundation in Sociology and Social Work.
- Opportunities for undertaking research projects in prestigious National and International Research Organizations.
- Field Visit and Training Programmes
Resource Mobilised & Research Output (last 5 years)
- Social Issues
- Health and Environment
- Rural Development
- Women Studies
- Social Development
- Funds Generated: over 1.35 crores through Development Grants & Research Projects
- Books & Book Chapters Published 16
- Research Papers Published 89
- Ph.Ds Awarded 15
- Colleges and Universities
- Government Hospitals
- Social Welfare Sectors
- Industries as Labour Welfare Officers
Students of the neighboring areas were the immediate beneficiaries of our department. The department also reaches the population of the surrounding villages (mostly backward and poor) in enhancing their quality of life by organizing special awareness creation camps relating to health, education, hygiene, sanitation, employment, human rights and on eradication of so-cial evils by involving students, research scholars and faculty members. Our department stu-dents organized one day Sanitation Awareness Programme in the B. Mutlur Village, an aware-ness camp for breast feeding and breast cancer at Arunmozhideven village, and a medical camp in Thalachankadu at Nagai District for improving the Health Hygiene conditions of the rural people.
The department collaborates with the State Planning Commission, Education Depart-ment and Department of Rural Development and Social Welfare Department in carrying out research studies. The faculty members also assist the Cuddalore and Villupuram District ad-ministration as District Vigilance Members in the verification of Community Certificates.
- M.A. Sociology (Five Year Integrated)
- M.A. Sociology (Two Year CBCS)
- M.S.W. Social Work (Two Year CBCS)
- M.Phil. Sociology
- Ph.D., Sociology (Full Time, Part-Time & External)
The Professor and Head
Department of Sociology
Tel: 91-4144-238 282 ext.-316