The Scott Christian College is managed by the Kanyakumari Diocese of the Church of South India (CSI). The Scott Christian College - named after Mr. Septimus Scott, a generous foreign supporter of this institution has evolved from the educational work started by the
Rev. William Tobias Ringeltaube, the first Missionary of the London Missionary Society. The School founded by him in 1809 at Mylaudy, a place about 10 miles from here, was shifted to a second Grade College in 1893 affiliated to the University of Madras.
In 1938, when the Universtiy of Travancore was founded in the former princely State of Travancore to which this area belonged, the College was admitted to its privileges. In 1950, the institution was raised to a first Grade College providing Mathematics (B.Sc.) and History (B.A.) Degree Programmes. Other majors were introduced gradually and now we have
12 undergraduate and 10 Post-Graduate Programmes.
Owing to the merger of this part of the country with the State of Madras in November 1956, this College was again affiliated to the University of Madras. However, with the establishment of Madurai Kamaraj University in 1966 the College was affiliated to the University and since 1990 to the Manonmaniam Sundaranar University.
The College which is co-educational has about 2600 students and there are over
152 teaching and 74 non-teaching members including 20 maintained by the Management. Though the college is a minority institution, it keeps its portals open to any student without any discrimination of caste or creed.
The College was shifted to the present campus during 1970-1971. The commencing of Post-graduate Programmes in 1971 was a significant landmark in the history of this College and now there are ten Post-graduate Programmes in arts, science and commerce subjects.
Pre-doctoral programmes like M.Phil. were introduced in 1984 followed by Ph.D. in Economics (1990), Tamil(1998), Zoology (1998), Botany (1999), Commerce (2000) and English (2001). Fax, Internet and Intercom facilities were introduced in 1999. A Web Page (www.scottchristian.org) was added in 2001.
Part-time M.Phil. Programmes in Physics, Botany, Zoology and Commerce were started during the year 2001-2002. Further, the Departments of English, Botany and Commerce are bringing out student publications. The newly organised Human Resource Development Centre is preparing external students for the Examination conducted by the Teacher Recruitment Board, Tamil Nadu, etc. The Centre is also offering Career Counselling services to many aspirants.
The College has launched ARISE, a new action initiate for rural integrated sustainable environment. It includes attempts such as the development of a green campus, plant and animal resource development, waste utilization, rainwater harvesting, energy conservation, village adoption and awareness promotion.
Two more programmes namely, B.B.A. and M.Sc. Computer Science (Self-financed) were added during the academic year 2003-2004. The State High Power Committee under the chairmanship of Prof. M. Ananthanarayanan, Director of Collegiate Education, Tamil Nadu has unanimously recommended to Government the award of autonomous status to the College.