> Faculty of Medicine
The Department of Pediatrics of Rajah Muthiah Medical College Hospital is committed to Advancing the Health of Infants, Children and Adolescents through innovative medical care, Research, Education and Training. Our Department serves the poor and needy children in and around Chidambaram. We are one of the largest Postgraduate Training Institute in the State. We offer broad based training in General Pediatrics, Neonatology, Critical Care and Community Pediatrics. Our Department in Comparison with other Institues has the Uniqueness of being attached to a University with various disciplines. Henceforth we also take classes and train nursing, Physiotherapy, Pharmacy students. Our faculty also are Guides for Ph.D Scholars.
History & Genesish
In the initial stages, the clinical departments started functioning in the old Hospital Complex, by putting up additional buildings to the University Medical Dispensary and clinical training was given to the students in the 450 bedded hospital with facilities for Surgical operation, Intensive Medical Care and sophisticated diagnostic equipments. The expansion of the hospital continued and a spacious out patient Department Complex at Natarajapuram with more than 60,000 sq.ft was declared open by Dr.(Mrs) Lalitha Kameswaran, the then Vice – Chancellor of Tamilnadu Dr.M.G.R.Medical University on 16th April 1990. More than 4 lakh sq.ft with a total bed strength of 1050, which was under construction at Natarajapuram, was soon ready for occupation. The entire hospital at Annamalai Nagar was shifted to the New Hospital Complex on 3rd October 1995.
Contributions to the society
Our department has been always associated with extension activities to the society. Every year we celebrate and create awareness to the public on breast feeding ,oral rehydration therapy,teenage and adolescent health problems.we also celebrate childrens day on nov 14th in a grand manner and educate the parents about the nutritional requirements ,mental health, immunization and a favourable environment for their proper growth and development .we also send our post graduates regularly for village health camps and we depute special teams in times of natural disasters and disease epidemics. Nearby schools are visited and screening of the school children are done on a regular basis.
1. 1987 outpatient department started in Ramanathan Mansion at Chidambaram with 2 Professors and 6 Inpatient beds in old Hospital.
2. 1989 Pediatric Division functions with 2 units.
3. 1990 Sick Newborn Nursery started with Incubators & Phototherapy unit
4. 1995 RMMCH declared as Baby Friendly Hospital by UNICEF
5. 1996 Dr.K.Indirabai Prize exam started for MBBS Students
6. 1997 M.D Postgraduate Course in Pediatrics started with 2 students
7. 1998 Neonatal intensive Care Unit started for Hospital born newborns with 6 bed
8. 1999 M.D Postgraduate Course in Pediatrics started with 3 students
9. 2000 Diploma in Child Health Course in Pediatrics started with 6 students
10. 2000 Pediatric Division functions with 3 Unis
11. 2002 Hi-Tech Class Room for the Division of Pediatrics with latest teaching aids Multimedia, LCD Projector, declared open by Hon.Pro-Chancellor Dr.M.A.M. Ramasamy.
12. 2002 Pediatric Intensive Care Unit started with 6 bed and 4 ventilators and monitors.
13. 2003 M.D Postgraduate Course in Pediatrics started with 6 students
14. 2005 Pediatric Division upgraded into 5 units with 150 beds
15. 2006 M.D Postgraduate Course in Pediatrics started with 10 students
16. 2007Pediatric Faculty members and Postgraduates contributed 22 topicsout of 150 topics in the IAP National Module for Undergraduates. The CD was released
at the National Conference of IAP held in Mumbai.
17. 2007 1st Pediatric Alumni CME was organised by Pediatric Department
18. 2010 2nd Pediatric Alumni CME was organised by Pediatric Department
19. 2012 Silver Jubilee Celebration of Pediatric Division (1987-2012) – PEDI-
SILVER celebration and UGC sponsored Pediatric Alumni CME on
NEONATAL CRITICAL CARE workshop
||J.V.MEDAL EXAM FOR P.G
||WORLD BREASTFEEDING WEEK
||AP QUIZ – COLLEGE ROUND – UG & PG
||IAP QUIZ – DIVISIONAL ROUND, UG & PG
||14TH CHILDREN’S DAY
||IAP DISTRICT MEET