FACULTY OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY

 

Profile

 

The Faculty of Engineering, started in July 1945 on an expansive site, has grown into an institution of excellence to-day. The rapid strides of its growth were recalled with pride at the Golden Jubilee function held in April '96. The faculty's nine departments with well- equipped laboratories and workshops are acclaimed as among the best in the country. All the departments are actively involved in engineering research. The faculty is housed in twelve spacious buildings -of architectural splendour on the western side of the campus adjacent to the Chidambaram Railway Station.

 

Realising the urgent need for engineers immediately after the Second World War, for the reconstruction and development of our nation, Dr. Rajah Sir Annamalai Chettiar, the First Founder Pro-Chancellor laid the foundation for starting the Faculty of Engineering and Technology in 1945 in Annamalai University, the second Engineering, College in TamilNadu. Though the Faculty of Engineering and Technology (FEAT) was started with just two departments, it has now grown to accommodate nine departments, namely the Departments of Civil, Civil and Structural, Mechanical, Manufacturing, Electrical and Electronics, Electronics and Instrumentation, Chemical Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, and Pharmacy offering 11 UG programmes and 26 PG programmes.

 

The FEAT campus, which occupies a sprawling area adjacent to Chidambaram Railway Station, provides all infrastructure facilities to the students fort undertaking academic and research activities. A well furnished and equipped Central Engineering Library with a collection of more than 1,00,000 books and 120 National and International journals and e - journals along with internet access systems is available on the FEAT campus.

 

A well established Engineering Workshop, consisting of Carpentry, Fitting, Black smithy, Welding, Machine Shop, Tool Room, Special Machine Shop, and Foundry and e - leaning centres, trains all the students of FEAT. A computer centre in the FEAT campus caters to the computing needs of the research scholars and students of various departments, apart from helping the university in terms of computer utility in the university administration. The Placement and Training cell was founded in the year 1988, with a view to help students get placement in various companies and to guide students for higher studies.