The Department of English was established in 1929. The faculty in the department are well equipped to offer different programmes in English ranging from M.A. to Ph.D. Six hundred volumes of books have been added to the library in the department in the recent past and there are 6000 books on the shelves not including research journals, magazines, and periodicals. To keep abreast of the times, the faculty engage themselves in research pursuits. The department has so far produced 123 Ph.Ds. Research publications is on the rise and 382 research papers have been published in national and international journals and an equal number of papers have been presented at the national and international seminars, conferences and symposia both on campus and off campus. The faculty give training in spoken English to the students on campus especially students hailing from rural areas so as to make them competent in soft skills and compete with others when they enter the labour market after earning their degrees.