The Department of Botany was established in the year 1932 to disseminate the knowledge of Plant Science. The University Grants Commission, New Delhi has recognized the Department for its excellence in research and teaching. The Department of Botany has been awarded with UGC – SAP – DRS status (III Phase) and DST - FIST. The Department has signed a Letter of Intent with the Tajen University, Taiwan for academic and research co-operation in the field of Bioactive compounds from Medicinal plants. The Department of Botany has signed MoU with the Department of Crop Physiology, University of Agricultural Sciences, GKVK Campus, Bangalore with the intention of sharing Academic and Research Programmes in the field of Molecular Biology with special reference to the Mangroves of Pichavaram forest.
Spacious well equipped laboratories viz., molecular biology, biotechnology, tissue culture, bioactive compound separation are available in the Department. Instruments like RT-PCR, PCRs, Gel Doc System, Refrigerated Centrifuge, CO2 Incubator are at the disposal of faculty, research scholars and students. A good Botanical Garden and Green House are available.Faculty members have published more than 350 research articles in various international journals of repute. The research papers have been cited by more than 1800 researchers. Research funds to a tune of 2.04 lakhs rupees have been received from DBT, DRDO, ICMR and UGC for undertaking various research projects.
The Department is well equipped with modern laboratories to provide basic and advanced research activities in all disciplines of Plant Science to expose the students to the need of the hour for their future employment. The alumni of the Department are occupying important positions in India and abroad.