Faculty of Education
The Faculty of Education came into existence during the year 1953 and at present it comprises of four Departments, namely, Department of Education, Department of Psychology, Department of Physical Education and Sports Sciences and Department of Lifelong Learning.
The Department of Education is a beehive of academic activities from its inception in 1953. The building of the Department of Education was inaugurated by the eminent Philosopher and Former President of India Dr.S.Radhakrishnan on 26th December 1955. The Department offers B.Ed., M.Ed., M.Phil., Ph.D., and D.Litt courses. All the Teacher Education Programmes are recognized by the NCTE. The Department of education is supported by UGC under SAP - DRS . The distinguished alumni of the Department of Education are working as Vice-Chancellor, Head of the Departments in various Universities, Principals in various colleges,Chief Education Officers andDistrict Education officers. The first and present Vice Chancellor of the Tamilnadu Teachers Education University and the former Vice Chancellor of Madurai Kamaraj University are the Alumni of the Department of Education.
The Department of Psychology was bifurcated from the Department of Philosophy and functioning as an independent department from 1961 onwards. Dr. S. P. ADINARAYAN an eminent social psychologist was the founder of the Department then became as Vice-Chancellor of the University. The Department offered courses in Psychology at the Graduate and Post Graduate level along with M.Phil and Ph.D programs. It is to be noted with pride and pleasure that a five year Integrated M.Sc program in Clinical Psychology is offered which is very popular among the student community as the syllabus is framed in such a way to prepare them for self-employment. In 2011 the Department celebrated its Golden Jubilee. Counselling centre is functioning in the Department from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m for the benefit of students and staff of this University.
The Department of Physical Education and Sports Sciences came into existence since the inception of the university in 1929 and then became teaching department from 1974 onwards. It contributes in qualitative enhancement and sustenance in producing student teachers for schools, Colleges and Universities. Promotion of Physical Education and Sports in the University is a three-tier activity. At the first level this department is running professional courses and research programme. At the second level it is conducting inter departmental tournaments and sports for all the ten faculties. The department is every year organizing South Zone /All India Inter University tournaments allotted by AIU. The third level is participating Inter University, State and National Level tournaments in twenty five disciplines of both men and women. This Department is supported by the UGC under SAP – DRS.
The Department of Lifelong Learning was established in our university as a Centre for Adult Education in 1986. The Centre started functioning with 100 Adult Education Centres per year up to 1989 and made 2684 illiterates as literates. The Annamalai University Mass Literacy Campaign 1991 is a model for Area Based Approach and made 30,444 illiterates as functional literates with in a period of 2 to 3 months. The Centres was upgraded in to Department in the year 2007 and introduced M.A, M.Phil, Ph.D and P.G Diplomas in Adult and Continuing Education, in addition to extension and field outreach activities. The Department adopted 20 villages and established 20 Continuing Education Centres and also Providing reading, play materials and conducted 104 Vocational Skill Development Training Programmes on various fields Awareness meetings, Medical camps, Seminars and Career Guidance and Counselling Programmes are periodically conducted for the betterment of rural masses and student youth.