The Department was established during 1929 under the stewardship of Prof. S. Ramachandra Rao. The Department was nurtured and developed by Prof.K.Venkateswarlu, Prof.K.Ramaswamy, Prof.V.Shanmugasundaram, Prof.K.Balasubramanian and others. The Department is also actively engaged in research and produced 282 numbers of Ph.D and 1667 research papers in well reputed journals. The Department has well qualified and experienced faculty and excellent infrastructure.
The curriculum is designed so that the incumbent can appear various competitive exams like UPSC, CSIR-UGC, NET, SLET and TNPSC
Excellent hands-on training to students
Excellent library facilities with internet connectivity
Individual computer to students
Highlights of the Programme